Our eight bells were originally cast in 1776 by the Pennington family, itinerant bell founders who were active across Devon & Cornwall, and apart from retuning the third and fourth bells are still original. The tenor was recast by John Rundall of Gloucester in 1825 and the remainder by Taylors of Loughborough, most recently the sixth in 1969.
Four of the bells were recast and the whole peal rehung in a new steel and cast iron frame by Taylors of Loughborough in 1950.
More recently with the help of local labour the clappers were rebushed and ground pulleys replace by Nicholson Engineering of Bridport in 2007.
Full details of the bells are as follows (data extracted from Dove's Guide):
|1||3-3-25||1402.5||F||26.00"||1950||John Taylor & Co||F|
|2||4-2-2||1320.5||E||27.00"||1950||John Taylor & Co||F|
|3||5-1-26||1174.0||D||29.75"||1776||J III, C IV, & W Pennington & Co||R|
|4||5-1-21||1047.0||C||30.63"||1776||J III, C IV, & W Pennington & Co||R|
|5||6-3-13||934.0||Bb||33.25"||1950||John Taylor & Co||F|
|6||7-2-14||882.0||A||34.50"||1969||John Taylor & Co||F|
|7||10-1-17||786.0||G||38.50"||1950||John Taylor & Co||F|